[et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.22.3″ min_height=”406px” custom_padding=”0px|0px|11px|0px|false|false”][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.25″ min_height=”539px” custom_padding=”50.1px|0px|0|0px|false|false”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.27.4″ text_font=”||||||||” text_text_color=”#000000″ text_font_size=”18px” custom_padding=”0px||0px|||”]
7 TIPS TO SAVE $100.00 THIS MONTH
The very first place you can save money this month is in your food budget.
One of the biggest expenses in most families is their food budget. But we need to eat, right? And let’s face it, FOOD IS DELICIOUS! If it wasn’t we wouldn’t have so many issues centered around food and the emotional connection we have to it.
When we first began the process of analyzing our expenses to see where we could save money, we realized our food budget was out of control. I would not even say it was a budget then. If there was something we wanted to buy at the grocery store, it went in the basket. If we had a craving for something it was satisfied. If the kids ate all of something, we simply replaced it. There was zero discipline in our food spending.
In this exercise, I want you to review your food spending for the last three months and average how much you are spending at the grocery store. If you have not ever done this before, my guess is that you are going to be surprised at how much you are spending on food.
The bright side of this is that what we spend on food is one of the easiest categories where we can save and see results immediately. The goal for this challenge is to cut your expenses by $100.00. Some of you may be able to do this simply with your grocery spending and that is AMAZING. If that is you, then I encourage you to not stop there and continue on the challenge to see how much MORE you can cut.
This part of the challenge does not include eating out expenses. We will address that separately.
If you are not sure how you can cut your food expenses, here are some tips to find savings:
- Limit meat to certain days of the week
- Find recipes that can be bulked up with healthy alternative options (beans, rice, legumes, fresh vegetables)
- Batch cook and make double meals
- Keep your cost per meal per person under $2.00. So, for instance, in our family of 8, I would try to keep the ingredients for dinner to under $16.00. For your family, it is likely much less than that. What’s really awesome is when I am able to feed our family for under $10 a meal!
- Stay away from processed treats for the kids. This was a huge saving in our family. I no longer am running to Costco to buy $80 in snacks for my kids’ lunches every week. Instead, they are getting fresh fruits and vegetables and a sandwich in their lunch. It’s better for them and it lasts longer because they don’t pig out on the junk whenever they feel like it.
- We keep our breakfast costs extremely low as well. Typically, it is cereal or toast with peanut butter. We purchase bread at the dollar store. It is the same bread sold at the grocery store – but at less than half the cost. This keeps the cost for breakfast down to pennies and it is something the boys can fix for themselves in the chaos of our mornings. My neighbor is my hero and makes her kids a fresh breakfast of either eggs or oatmeal. Both are extremely cost-efficient as well. Especially when you can pick up your eggs on sale for less than $.99 a dozen.
- Buy fruit at a local grocer stand, if available. We are very lucky to live in California where we have fresh produce available quite readily. Take advantage of local farm-fresh food if you are able.
- Grow your own fruits and veggies.
By saving a little bit here and there, the savings add up quickly.
Curtis and I would love to hear how much each of you were able to cut! Join our Facebook Community for House of FI Families and let us know. Whether you were able to cut $10 or $200, be proud of yourself! It all adds up.
Love and prosperity,
Wendy and Curtis
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_image src=”https://www.houseoffi.com//wp-content/uploads/2019/09/100-Callenge-Tip-1.png” align=”center” _builder_version=”3.23.3″ width=”49%”][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section][et_pb_section fb_built=”1″ _builder_version=”3.22.6″][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.25″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][et_pb_text _builder_version=”3.27.4″ text_font=”||||||||” text_text_color=”#000000″ text_font_size=”19px” custom_padding=”53px|||||”]
IF YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR BUDGET….
SIGN UP FOR OUR 7-STEP MONEY CHALLENGE
IT’S TOTALLY FREE – WE’RE NOT UPSELLING YOU ON ANYTHING ELSE. THIS IS SIMPLY US, HELPING YOU GET ON THE RIGHT FOOTING WITH YOUR MONEY.
It is a NO NONSENSE designed to take you step-by-step through your finances and build a solid money foundation so that you can reach your money goals.